The Department of the Geographer welcomes interested recruits of legal age (see below) in good physical condition, as recreating the life of a surveyor or support soldier in Washington's army requires marching/walking/hiking, and carrying several pounds of equipment in variable weather conditions.
Annual Dues are $42.00 for the first (“Primary”) member of a household, plus $10.00 for each additional “Secondary” member in the same household over the age of 16. All under 16 years of age are free. (Fees subject to change.)
If an individual wishes to be an Active Member but keep his BAR registration with another unit, Annual Dues are $16.00 for the first (“Primary”) member of a household, plus $5.00 for each additional “Secondary” member in the same household over the age of 16. All under 16 years of age are free. (Fees subject to change.)
All Active Members in the Department of the Geographer must be members of the Brigade of the American Revolution.
Each Active Member household receives:
- Access to the unit email discussion group.
- Invitation to register for the unit’s annual School of Instruction
- Access to the Department of the Geographer Unit Manual
- The Brigade Courier (six issues a year). The newsletter for the Brigade, containing timely information, event details, ads, news and general tidbits of interest to the membership.
- The Brigade Dispatch (quarterly). The flagship periodical of the Brigade, a scholarly journal covering topics of the 18th century study from overviews and study of period topics to "how- to" articles for the practical application in living history.
- Ability to participate in any Brigade function anywhere.
- Coverage by the Brigade's insurance policy at all official Brigade functions.
- Coverage by the unit’s insurance policy at all official Department of the Geographer events.
- Eligibility to subscribe to the Brigade e-mail discussion list, an online forum for members to share research and thought.
- The advantage of the Brigade as a support organization, such as: workshops, membership referrals, web site hosting, music training, etc.
- Privilege to participate in the management of the Brigade.